Center for Elder Law & Justice (CELJ) is a civil legal services organization fighting for justice, primarily for low-income older adults, in several counties in Western New York. Our attorneys stop illegal evictions, save clients homes from foreclosure, put a stop to elder domestic violence, fight for public benefits, work with our local immigrant & refugee populations, and represent grandparents and other kinship care relatives in custody and neglect petitions in family court. We also advocate for systems-wide policy changes, commenting frequently on changes to regulations and working with local elected leaders on legislation that will impact the poor and vulnerable older adults in our area. We believe that independence and dignity are the hallmarks of justice.
Job Description / Attorney Responsibilities:
- Experience with Medicaid/Medicare/Private Health Insurance
- Fair Hearing and public benefits experience
- Position will be responsible for representing clients in appeals and grievances involving Medicaid, Medicaid Managed Long Term Care, Medicare, and private health insurance companies
- Position is expected to serve as subject matter expert in health benefits for those age 60 and up, monitoring trends and changes to relevant law, and participating in coalitions which advocate for the health care rights of the population served
- Position will be responsible for drafting and providing testimony before state lawmakers
- Provide representation in court, administrative hearings, and with local, State, and federal agencies
- Provide training, community outreach, and education to individuals and local community-based organization, and other advocates
- Maintain registered lobbyist through CELJ; advocating for legislation and determining lobbying proprieties
- Coordinate and collaborate with other groups and organizations
- Represent the civil practice and legal aid in the community
Job Description/ Supervisor Responsibilities:
The Supervising Attorney will:
- Provide direct oversight to Health Care Unit staff, including attorneys, paralegals and social workers
- Provide supervision on all files through one-on-one staff interaction and weekly case review meetings
- Assist with annual reviews of the staff
- Represent the agency as needed at board meetings, board committee meetings, and community meetings.
- Evaluate and make positive changes to the structure of the unit and office
- Assist Managing Attorney, with relationship building and identifying new opportunities for growth
- Work with the Senior Management Team to identify trends and new methods of service
- Portray confidence and ability for making tough decisions and have a level of comfortability with difficult conversations
- Work closely with other managers on supporting the agency and carrying out goals and communication with a high level of passion and positivity
CELJ Supervising Attorneys are expected to:
- Assume primary responsibility for their units’ operations, including setting priorities, developing program areas, and creating and participating in outreach events.
- Work with the development team to identify and write grants to support their unit.
- Help the CEO set the agency’s lobbying priorities and work with elected officials on legislation.
- Provide quality assurance and supervision essential to the delivery of high quality legal services, including caseload monitoring.
- Participate in hiring, firing and disciplinary decisions.
- Handle a reduced caseload
Supervising Attorneys are required to attend out-of-area conferences and meetings.
Supervising Attorneys should expect to work more than a 40-hour workweek.
- Admitted to practice in NYS
- 5+ years legal experience
- Self-starter; self-motivated
- Must enjoy a fast paced environment
- Able to handle multiple tasks
- Program development experience
- Communication and interpersonal skills required – must be comfortable collaborating with all levels of staff
- Public speaking (trainings)
- Able to identify and evaluate legal issues
- Commitment to communities we serve
- Travel amongst counties, required
Send cover letter and resume to Rachel Haseley, HR Director Rhaseley@elderjusticeny.org
CELJ is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Employer recruits without regard to sex, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity, and any such candidates are strongly encouraged to apply