Our Organization: Legal Services of Central New York (LSCNY) is committed to achieving justice for low-income people and those who have difficulty accessing the justice system. We are deeply committed to principles of anti-racism and race equity in all that we do. For 56 years, we have sought to make a difference in clients’ lives and their communities by eliminating the barriers that cause poverty or reduce our clients’ access to economic mobility. We continually search for ways to help people improve their lives and communities.
Responsibilities: LSCNY is organized into three regions, with the Utica region serving clients in Oneida, Jefferson, Herkimer, and Lewis Counties. The Regional Managing Attorney will have the following duties and responsibilities.
- Conduct weekly regional case assignment and review meetings.
- Train, supervise, and mentor lawyers and staff.
- Develop and maintain a relationship with community-based organizations, the courts, and local governmental officials.
- Create and maintain a professional work environment that results in effective client representation.
- Work collaboratively with the LSCNY management team.
- Ensure compliance with LSCNY policies and procedures and grant requirements.
- Actively support LSCNY’s commitment to race equity.
- Maintain a limited caseload in areas of significant practice in the region.
Qualifications: Candidates must be admitted or eligible for admission to the bar of the State of New York. Preferred candidates will have at least seven years legal experience, preferably in in civil legal services or public interest organizations. Prior supervisory experience is a plus.
Attributes of a successful candidate are:
- A commitment to providing high quality legal assistance to low-income and under-served populations.
- A commitment to race equity, anti-racism, and economic justice in the workplace and in providing legal services.
- Effective analytical, legal writing, and advocacy skills.
- Organizational and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Bilingual or multi-lingual is a plus.
Opportunities for Professional Development: LSCNY is committed to creating opportunities for development and career advancement. We invest in skills, substantive law, and leadership training for our staff. We encourage attorneys to become active in the state and local bar associations and local community organizations.
Closing date: Closing date for applications: when filled.
Salary/Benefits: Starting salary range is $75,000 to $85,000, depending on relevant experience. We have an excellent benefits package and a generous leave policy. LSCNY pays for bar memberships, attorney registration, and training opportunities, including Mandatory Continuing Legal Education courses.
Application: Your application must include a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three professional references. LSCNY invites applicants to include in their cover letter a statement of how your unique background and experience might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Director of Human Resources
Legal Services of Central New York, Inc.
221 South Warren Street, Suite 300
Syracuse, New York 13202
Legal Services of Central New York, Inc. is committed to diversity and inclusion in hiring, retaining, and promoting so we can be more creative, effective, and just, bringing more varied perspectives, experiences, backgrounds, talents, and interests to the practice of law and the administration of justice. We accept, respect, and value differences that include attributes such as age, race, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disabilities, language, socioeconomic status, marital and parental status, national origin, immigration status, and cultural background. We strongly encourage individuals with historically marginalized identities to apply.