Journey's End Refugee Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ the best-qualified personnel without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, gender identity, marital status, or any other reason prohibited by law.
Journey’s End Refugee Services, Inc. is a refugee resettlement and immigration services provider for the Western New York Region. Journey’s End works to assist newly arriving refugees to find gainful employment and avoid dependency on social services
Job Description: Reporting to the Supervising Attorney, the Staff Attorney will assist in the development of the Immigration and Legal Services Program that offers full-scale holistic immigration representation to low-income refugees, asylees and other vulnerable immigrant populations. They will provide outreach, direct immigration legal services, pro se assistance, community information sessions, Know Your Rights presentations, and referrals to the refugee and immigrant populations of Western New York. This position will primarily operate out of Buffalo, NY.
The Staff Attorney must exemplify Journey’s End’s core values in their work. These values include intercultural responsiveness, integrity, person-centered, empowerment, and exemplary service.
- Provide direct affirmative and defensive immigration legal representation to the immigrant populations of Western New York, including but not limited to asylum, removal defense, adjustment of status, complex naturalization, family reunification, family-based immigration, Temporary Protected Status, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS), Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), employment authorization (work permits), humanitarian parole, and appeals.
- Provide Know Your Rights trainings and other workshops throughout Western New York on relevant immigration topics determined by the immigrant community.
- Develop, sustain, and grow meaningful partnerships with local community groups to organize, host, and conduct outreach for Know Your Rights trainings and other workshops.
- Provide referrals to appropriate internal agency programs or partner agencies to meet law related and other needs of refugee and immigrant clients.
- Conduct widespread community outreach, coordinate with partner agencies, and participate in all mandatory trainings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Be admitted and remain in good standing of the bar of the highest court of any state in the country or U.S. territory
- Be able and willing to travel to all counties throughout Western New York
- Possess ability to be part of a dynamic team of talented and dedicated individuals
- Possess strong written, oral communication, and advocacy skills
This is a full time and salaried position. Benefits and retirement package are included in the total compensation package. Journey's End Refugee Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ the best qualified personnel without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, age, gender, gender identity, marital status, or any other reason prohibited by law.