Empire Justice Center, a highly respected, statewide legal services organization, is seeking a Health Team Paralegal to join our team, based out of the Rochester office. This is an opportunity to join one of the most effective organizations serving low-income individuals and families in New York State.
Empire Justice Center attracts and employs dedicated, determined, and passionate advocates who make a significant impact on the lives of low-income New Yorkers. We achieve our successes through direct legal representation and high-impact litigation, legislative and administrative advocacy, and by providing training and technical assistance to other advocates who are working towards the same goals.
With offices in Rochester, Albany, Westchester County, and Long Island, our organization offers staff an exciting and dynamic working environment and a strong commitment to teamwork, diversity, and personal/professional development.
Empire Justice Center is pleased to announce an opening for a full-time Paralegal for its health law unit, working in our Rochester office. In conjunction with health team staff, the Paralegal will provide education, assistance, and advocacy on eligibility for and access to health benefits; and conduct client intake by interviewing prospective clients and identifying their legal needs. This position will also provide opportunities for community partner building and client outreach and engagement at a local level.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Conduct client intake: as the first point of contact with Empire Justice Center clients seeking assistance with any and all health insurance-related matters, screen prospective clients and determine their needs
- Case management: enter and track client information into various databases; open and close files; organize client and case information for health team review; coordinate follow-up services for clients including using translation services and referrals
- Advocate for consumer access to health benefits and services
- Assist in the direct representation of clients, including researching and responding to requests for technical assistance on health insurance-related matters
- Provide litigation support to health team attorneys
- Maintain confidentiality of client information and files, in accordance with HIPAA and other laws
- Develop a thorough understanding of the various public health insurance programs available to low-income New Yorkers
- Attend training, presentations, and events throughout the year, both online and in-person
- Regularly participate in coalition calls and meetings with other health advocates
- Work with community groups, health care institutions, and local organizations to conduct outreach on the availability of and access to health- related services
- Help develop and provide community presentations on health benefits and associated legal services
- Help to develop and distribute community outreach and education materials
- Other duties as assigned.
Candidates for this position should possess:
- 5+ years of paralegal experience or 5+ years of relevant Medicaid, Medicare, or health law experience
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Strong IT skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Flexibility and experience working as a team
- Previous non-profit or legal services experience preferred
- Ability to respond to cultural differences among organizations, client populations, and staff
Salary is commensurate with experience and based on the organization’s salary scale. Empire Justice Center offers a generous benefits package, including health insurance, life insurance, vacation, holiday, and sick time. We are an organization that supports and encourages a work/life balance.
Empire Justice Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer who desires a diverse workforce. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, the elderly, gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
If interested, e-mail a resume and contact information for three professional references aware of this application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Health Team Paralegal, First/Last Name in the subject line of the email. No phone calls or hard copies, please.
Health Team Paralegal